Job Title: Computer Support Specialist
Job ID: 151007
Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Contract
Contract Length: 3+ Months
Salary Range: $13.07 – 25.93/ HR
Positions Available: 1
Recruiter: Sarah Perez
Phone: 678 608 1362
Provides production support for the Controls Business computer systems and peripheral equipment, in accordance with documented and undocumented procedures. Monitors the control panels of electronic computers and attends the peripheral equipment with little or no direct supervision.
- Observes network and server monitoring systems, machine operations, system consoles and error lights within the Data Center environment.
- Responsible for detecting system malfunctions and abnormal operations, and initiating appropriate corrective actions/procedures as required.
- Provides first level network and server support in the problem resolution process within the Data Center, diagnosing the nature of problems and initiating documented actions.
- Coordinates problem escalation and resolutions to second and third level network system support personnel and/or outside support service providers, executing corrective actions as directed.
- Logs and tracks network and server production problems in accordance with the problem management system.
- Performs file and disk restorations as required/requested from back-ups.
- Operates equipment following operating instructions and production schedules: enter commands using computer terminal, press buttons and flip switches on computers and peripheral equipment, such as tape drive, printer and communications equipment Mounts magnetic tape in tape drives, loads paper in printer, and sets guides for operating printing runs.
- Stores computer tape according to classification and identification numbers, and sends tapes to off-site location for secure storage.
- Completes media conversions between disk, tape, CD-ROM, and optical disk as requested. Separates, sorts and distributes printer output, removing faulty materials.
- Assists in the development and maintenance of standard operating procedures for the department. Answers Controls Business Help Desk phone outside normal business hours.
- Determines nature, priority, and support responsibility of the call, and provides requested support if within operational scope.
- Ensures all safety and security policies and procedures are adhered to within the Data Center, providing for and enforcing the physical security requirements of the space.
- Coordinates functions and activities between primary Data Center and remote Data Center facilities.
- Assists in site preparations, installation, and set-up of computer systems and Data Center equipment.
- Performs related work as assigned.
U.S. Citizenship required. High School Graduate or equivalent. Minimum of two years of basic technical training or on-the-job training in an IT environment. Working knowledge computer systems, data center operations, print and tape operations. Working knowledge of TCP/IP protocol, MS Windows Server, LAN/WAN networks, and MS Office Suite. May be require evening hours and/or weekends. May be required to lift up to 50 lbs. maximum.
Ability to comprehend and transmit detailed and precise instructions, both verbally and in writing. Ability to elicit relevant information from others in conjunction with diagnosing problems. Ability to perform basic computations using calculator and computer software programs. Ability to meet deadlines, concentrate and pay attention to detail often under stressful situations. Ability to recognize abnormal conditions and determine appropriate actions. Ability to assimilate and apply information from prior experience and instruction.